Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Sunday of First


I love this picture.  Not only because I was able to capture 3 of my 4 children all in the same spot, but because of the outfit that Preston is wearing.  I have prayed and prayed that one of my boys would be able to wear this heirloom.  Ryan’s mom made this for Ryan when he was a baby 35 years ago!  My mother-in-love is the best seamstress, and I was so excited when she passed onto me all of Ryan’s hand smocked baby clothes.  Taylor never got to wear this outfit (due to his size and the season not matching up), and I am so proud that Preston got to wear it for the first time this season!
 

This morning was mine and Ryan’s first attempt at making breakfast for our new Sunday School class.  I think it was a hit!  I judge by leftovers, and there was very little left to clean up!  I made my favorite fall treat: Pumpkin Muffin’s, and my husband’s favorite: Grit’s Casserole.   I love both of these recipes – they were perfect for a cold autumn morning with new friends.  I have posted the recipes below. 

 
Pumpkin Muffins:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
¾ of a 29-ounce can of pumpkin
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
pinch of ground nutmeg
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp molasses

cream cheese frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 and grease your cupcake tins.

In a bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, and nutmeg.  Set aside.

In a separate bowl, stir together the canola oil, egg, pumpkin, molasses, brown sugar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time and stir to combine.

Spoon batter into prepared cupcake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Let cool completely before icing.

To make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla together until thick and smooth. Transfer icing into a pastry bag with a tip or a plastic bag with the tip cut off. Frost cupcakes and store in the refrigerator until serving.


Grits Casserole
6 cups water
2 cups grits
Salt to taste
1 pound sausage (I like maple flavored)
1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix
4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup of Milk
½ Stick of Butter
7 Eggs

Preheat oven to 400.
Make grits according to package directions, and set aside.
Cook sausage in skillet until golden brown.
Combine Cornbread, milk, eggs, melted butter, and 3 cups of cheese in a large bowl.
Add sausage and grits to the mix.
Place in a large baking dish.
Bake until the middle is no longer wiggly.
Top with remaining cheese, and let melt.
Enjoy!!!!


1 comment:

Char said...

Awww.... makes my heart happy to see Preston wearing that little outfit. Looks like his daddy sitting there. ;-)
Thanks for posting the recipes - I love your grits casserole too.
Hugs and love, Nene