Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Boys will be Boys and Girls with be Girls

Today my little boy grew up a little bit faster than I would have liked. We got a report from his teacher (Ms. Deb) that Taylor was involved in a conversation with two other children where one of the boys was teaching the other two (my Taylor included) how to “flip the bird.” I knew this would happen one day but I was really hoping that he would be about 12 not 4. This child that was teaching the other children has 4 older sisters so I know that is where he learned it, but it will take me a long to forgive him. But to be real honest it really ticks me off that someone even invented “the bird.” How irrelevant of a gesture. If that was not bad enough Taylor got in trouble at dinner because he “flipped his dad off.”

Today my little Emma did not sleep a wink. She was up and fussy all day long. I believe that we might have spent too much time with Lucy yesterday because I am almost certain that Lucy and Emma switched personalities. I believe this because Lucy slept all day today. When I suggested to Mary that we get the girls back together tomorrow, so they could “rub off on each other again” she said “never, never again will they interact with each other.” I think she is enjoying sleeping Lucy. Good news is that it is 9:45 pm and Emma has finally passed out – hopefully for the night.

Taylor you are so sweet and so good with your baby sister. You keep saying “I hope God gives me another baby sister.”

1 comment:

coble said...

Laura -
I read the blog a bit ago - I check it everyday. It always makes me smile.
I just had to stop and take a minute to send you this email and encourage you about little boys and their middle finger and their little sweet mouths.
It will be ok!
I remember well the first time that Ryan flipped his middle finger up - he didn't know exactly what it meant - but he knew that his mommy was not having a good reaction to it. ;-)
Ryan learned this gesture from his older cousin DJ. I wanted to be really mad at DJ and Darrell and Holly for allowing DJ to make such a gesture but I couldn't because I loved DJ and knew that Darrell and Holly probably had no idea what DJ was doing and teaching.
Roy always handled these things much better than me - I would always ask him "did you do that?" Once he replied - "yes" - I knew it would be ok because Roy was the closest thing to a perfect child that I had ever heard of!
Taylor is a near perfect child too. He is such a good little boy - and you and Ryan are great parents. I am sure that he already knows not to flip the bird again. ;-)
Just be prepared - he is going to learn way too many things from helpful friends - but know that you and Ryan will always be there to correct him and teach him what is appropriate and what must not be repeated.
The story made me laugh - and remember how freaked out I was that my little boy could do such a horrible thing. Then it made me so proud to see what a wonderful man that Ryan has become.
Taylor will someday be an awesome man too.
Remember - "a little boy is all God has with which to make a man."
That was always one of my favorite sayings. I had to repeat it to myself MANY times everyday with 3 little boys.
You have the priviledge and awesome responsibility of molding that little boy into a GREAT man.
And -
Ryan taught Sean and Aaron how to flip the bird - he was always so helpful.
I love you Laura -
You are such a great mommy to my grandbabies and wife to my son.