Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Boys Best Friend

Taylor today we went to Manna’s house to feed her horses for her while she and G-daddy are in Alabama visiting family. You were such a big little helper you knew where everything was and what all of the animals were supposed to be fed. You loved telling me about all of the horse and about each of their personalities. You are such an animal lover.

Your Manna has always encouraged you to help her name her new animals. One of her horse you named Patty Pie, another one of her houses you named Boxy Bottom, one of her Cats you named Sucker Cat, and the list goes on. Manna wanted to name her latest cat Ella but you insisted that she name it Sally, she did not officially change its name to Sally until after Emma was born and everyone called Emma “Ella” and she said “enough the cat is Sally.”

The reason that I am writing this entry is because when we got finished feeding the animals today and were getting ready to go home you looked at me and said “Mom I really think that we need to look for AJ because I have not seen him in so very long.” AJ was Manna’s old farm dog that you grew to love as a baby. You would call him “Hey J.”

Well AJ passed away about six months ago and I just never had the heart to tell you about it. It would have been your first death experience and I think I just wanted to protect your tender little heart for as long as I could. You never seemed to notice that AJ was not around, you just thought he was out chasing other animals, so I left it alone. Today I could not avoid it any longer. After you made your comment I looked at you and said “there was something that we needed to talk about.” Before I could even tell you what had happened you already had tears in your eyes. I went on to explain that AJ had gone to heaven to be with God. That was probably the hardest thing that I have ever had to tell you. I have seen you cry many times before but never like this. Your heart was hurting and there was not much that momma could do to make you feel better. I just held you and we cried together. I’m so sorry about your “Hey J” my little Taylor. I promise I will do everything I can to protect your heart for as long as I can my sweet boy. I love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the saddest thing I have read it makes my heart hurt. I hate that you had to have that discussion with him but it could have been worst. You could have explained to him where babies come from... you know the real story. I love you and your beautiful family so much!
Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with this story... to view my blog you need to relink your link to the mary's blog part of the website. You can now view all of my blogs on that page. Also, you have to click on the story name to read all of it. IT is not as simple as yours... i wish it was!

Leslie said...

That is the sweetest story I have ever heard. You are such a great mom, Laura, and it really shows through. Taylor is such a sensitive, tender-hearted boy because of your influence.