Friday, March 27, 2009

Taylor Update




We want to thank you all for your prayers and messages over the past couple days. Taylor’s surgery went really well this morning. The doctor was pleased with the process, and Taylor is really starting to come around tonight. Now, if we can only keep his bandages on him for a few more days we will be in good shape! We are so blessed to have such a strong support group and all of you as friends.

For those of you who don’t know when Taylor was 8 months old we had tubes put in his ears to help prevent the continuous ear infections. By the time he was eight months old he had has roughly 7-10 ear infections back to back to back. The tubes worked great because to this day he has not had another ear infection. Unfortunately one of his tubes never fell out, so when he was three years old the doctor went in and surgically removed the tube. In the process he discovered that skin had started to grow up over the eardrum (which is not a good thing). The doctor removed the skin, and left the hole in his eardrum to insure that the skin did not grow over the eardrum again. Our doctor has been watching it closely for the last two years to insure that everything was okay before repairing it. So basically he walked around for two years without an eardrum in his right ear.

The procedure that they did today was to graft in his right eardrum. I will not gross you out with all the details, but basically they removed his eardrum, so they could work on it, and built it back with a piece of this own tissue. Then they put everything back together and stitched him up. His hearing has probably been affected a little bit from not having an eardrum for the last two years, but the doctors are optimistic that we will be able to correct it assuming that the procedure they did today takes properly.

Taylor was a little bit hesitant about the procedure this morning, and absolutely broke our heart when he woke up saying “I’m scared mommy, I’m scared mommy.” But by the time we were back talking with the doctors and his favorite male nurse, he had really loosed up and was joking with them. He was quite cranky after having the anesthesia, but settled down and came thru after sleeping in my arms for two hours post op. It was quite an experience for mom and dad, but I know that we are stronger parents for going thru this together.

The procedure has a 90% success rate, so we will go back in three weeks to insure that everything took correctly. We would ask that you keep Taylor’s healing process and the success of the procedure in your prayers. I am not sure that we could put him back thru this surgery again if it does not take correctly.

For the next seven days we are just hanging around watching movies (Star Wars and Narnia) and trying to keep Taylor as still as possible. Witch if you have ever met my Taylor Man you would know this is not an easy task.

2 comments:

Char said...

Taylor I am so so so glad that your surgery went well. I know that it was probably very scary but I also know that you were very brave.
I am trusting that it will be successful and your hearing will be better than perfect!
I am trusting for these things because I know that our AWESOME GOD loves you and keeps you in His care.
Good job Mommy and Daddy - I understand this was scary and hard on you as well.
Can't wait to hear the Taylor stories about this event - I am sure he will have an interesting & entertaining perspective on it. ;-0
Love you all bunches -
Nene

The Bost Family said...

I'm so glad my Taylor did so well. I am looking forward to spending all next week with him! I love you guys!