Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Taylor’s First Day of Kindergarten







Aren’t these walls the cutest?
Instead of bulletin boards the teachers get to paint on the cinder block walls.

Taylor seemed to do very well at school today. This morning when we dropped him off he did not want to have his picture take at all (as you can see from the pictures). And he really did not want mom or dad hanging around. He wanted to stand by the other kids in his class and did not want us to talk to him or to hug him good-bye. When the teacher opened the door to let them in their classroom he just walked right in and did not even give us a second thought. I guess I should be thankful for this, but I think that this independence is making me sad. Sorry this post is going to be a sob story because that is what I have been doing most of the day.

I picked Taylor up for school today (which the carpool line in itself is a stand alone blog post) and it took 45 minutes for me to get to him at the beginning of the line. When the teachers called out Taylor’s name the first 7 times he never showed and I could not see him because there was a line of cars between me and where the kids were sitting. My heart dropped to my belly when the principle asked me to pull over and they would go into the building and look or him. All I could think was that he ended up in someone else car and a stranger took my baby home. In true Taylor fashion he eventually popped out the crowed, and I yelled for him to come to the car. The teacher with the megaphone looked at him (held him by the shoulder) and asked him why he was not paying attention (in a very intimidating voice). Not to mention when I he popped up out of the crowd I noticed that he had on his set of emergency clothes (yes he had an accident). Poor baby – he said that his teacher took very good care of him, and that the other kids did not notice (or at least did not say anything to him).

After all this I decided Taylor and mommy needed some alone time and we went to McDonalds, where my baby opened up and told me all about his day. It did sound like he had a great day and he really loves his teacher Ms. Eubanks. In the mean time he devoured 10 chicken nuggets, and two orders of fries. If you know Taylor well you know that eating this much is not like him. I inquired why he was so hungry and he said, “mom the line at lunch was so long, and we did not have much time to eat our food, and when I was done my teacher told me that I could not have seconds, and I was starving all day long.” My heart broke. We immediately went to Wal-Mart and picked up $120 worth of necessary amenities for packing our own lunches.

Mommy does not know what to think about public schools, but we will give it to the end of the week before we make any rash decisions and move him to a privet monitory school. I hate not being able to go into to the school and pick my baby at the end of the day, and it really pisses me off that they did not let him have seconds at lunch today. Not to mention that they should have been brining them to the bathroom every 45 minutes so none of them would have an accident on the first day of school. I miss preschool and Ms. Deb in the Blue Room. She took such good care of my baby boy.

I am just rambling at this point. I have lots of emotions flowing through me right now. I am praying to God right now that tomorrow will just be a new day, full of new success stories.

6 comments:

Char said...

My sweet Laura - it will be ok and this too shall pass. I promise!
Go ahead and cry lots of tears for a day or two - you've earned it.
Taylor will be fine - you and Ryan have prepared him to be successful and thrive - this is just one small step in his journey and in yours.
Love you all bunches.

The Bost Family said...

Taylor, I am so proud of you. You are such a great kid and I know you will have a very successful year in kindergarten. I love you. (I'll also home school you if need be)

Audrey said...

I agree with Nene. You and Ryan are awesome parents and I know that Taylor will surprise you with how well he will do this year in school.

I completely understand your concerns though. I got a little teary eyed reading your post. Never underestimate your instincts. You've done a great job so far!

said...

Oh Laura, I really understand and remember all those emotions. I held Dennis back a year and even after that I wanted to homeschool him. David didn't think it was a good idea. But, a wise lady once told me that children are like hothouse flowers and school is like conditioning them to face the real world. You still take them in at night to nurture and encourage and repair any damages. Those little hurts prepare them for the big stuff that will inevitably happen.
But, I remember how hard it is to see them suffer in any way!! Praying for you and Taylor this morning.

Roni said...

Is that Thomas Jefferson in Bentonville?? I went to that school.

Anyway, I went through those emotions last year. Hunter had an accident too & no one ever said a word about it to him. No worries.

Rachel said...

What a day, Laura! Hang in there - I'm sure that Taylor will be just fine. But I agree Audrey - trust your instincts.