Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Alabama Family Time

There is something about the small sleep town of Athens, Alabama that makes me revert back to Black and White photography. I captured some of these pictures while we were at my Memaw and Bill Bill’s house congregating as one big large family.


Each night leading up to the funeral people from the community and my Memaw’s church brought food over, so all of my Aunts, Uncles, cousins, second cousins all gathered to share in family time. It was a very special time. And it makes me sad to know that we will probably not all congregate again at this house as one big family. My grandmother was the matriarch, and the one that brought and kept all together. I have very fond memories playing in the field around this house as a child, and it was so neat to watch the next generation of children out in the same fields playing and laughing together.

Have I ever told you how much I love family? It does not matter if it is close family or extended family, or family you only get to see once a year. There is just something about family that you can’t get anywhere else. Family just comes together and picks up where they left off, unlike any other group of people who are put together. You really don’t have to put up a front when you are around family, you can sit around and not say anything and it is okay. You can cry together and not be judged, you can reminisce together about “the old days.” There is nothing like family.



I love pulling up to this house and seeing all of the cars in the yard.  I know that waiting in the house are many people that I love, and who love me. 

The twins did really well on the trip.  We just strapped them in their stroller and they would nap.

My sister Mary and baby Henry:

This is Betty.  She was one of my Memaw's caregivers.  She has 12 brothers and sisters.  Her and two of her other sister watched after Memaw.  They are an incredible family. 

Front port sitting.....  My Memaw loved to sit on this porch and watch all of her cats and dogs.

Two of my cousin's kids playing in the yard. 

The two models posing for the camera. 

I love these silly girls. 

Lucy with some of Memaw's beloved pups. 


No comments: