Monday, September 28, 2009

Sometimes is Does Pay to Play

When I was little I got an American Girl Baby Doll for Christmas one year. And I loved this doll, she was so perfect she had the most adorable little wicker bassinet that she sat in complete with a blanket and pillow. It was a big honor for me to get a doll because my parents never gave us dolls. They mostly got us Tonka trucks and wagons. So I was thrilled when I actually got a girl toy for this particular Christmas. I loved to just sit and look at my doll and not play with it because I wanted to keep it in pristine condition – in hopes of one day passing it on to my own daughter.

Within the past couple of days I have pulled this little doll out and let Emma and Lucy play with her. Yesterday Emma and I were “actually” playing with her, and Emma grabbed her blanket and pulled it by the lace and this stuff just ripped like soggy paper. I could not believe it. The lace was so delicate that it literally ripped easier than paper – it had just disintegrated. I am thrilled that I could pass this doll own to Emma to play with, but I wish that I had played with her more when I was little.

I have learned that it really does not pay to save things or collect things, and we just need to use what we have when we have it. I can literally apply this lesson to a lot of things in my life!


3 comments:

The Bost Family said...

You probably should have let your little sister play with her too. I"m just glad that I wasn't the one who ripped the lace because I would have gotten a spanking for playing with your things.

Thanks for letting the girls play with your prize doll.

Char said...

You are right Laura - enjoy the gifts you are given - enjoy what you love now. Don't let life pass you by - jump right smack dab in the middle of it and ENJOY every blessing.
The flip side is - what a loving, giving, considerate person you are. Even when you were a little girl, you were thinking of someone else that would come years later - that you wanted to bless with your favorite doll.
I love everything about you!

DeAnna said...

Ahhh Laura, this is the sweetest little story. To know that you were thinking about Emma and passing this doll down so many years ago. Yeah, I think I only have one cabbage patch doll from my younger days and I think the only reason she made it this long is bc it was a homemade (durable) cabbage patch doll. Thanks for sharing!