Thursday, December 18, 2008

Two Questions to Ponder…..

Santa or No Santa?
Well I’m not even sure how to blog about this one, but I will give it my best shot. The other night we were getting Taylor ready for bed and he stated “mom dad I don’t think there is a Santa Clause.” Ryan and I looked at each other and shrugged out shoulders, and started to inquire as to where he heard this. He said “I thought it up on my own.” We have always said we weren’t going to string him along with the whole Santa thing (we honestly did not even want to start it because we have always wanted it to be abundantly clear to our children as to why we celebrate Christmas). So Ryan proceeded to tell him the truth about Santa. After hearing this Taylor looked at us and said “I was just kidding of course there is a Santa.” Ryan and I look at each other confused and said “okay sure there is a Santa.” We did not know what to think about this.

Does anyone have any great advice as to how to handle the whole Santa thing with little ones?


Disposable Diapers or Cloth Diapers
There is a new “all natural/all organic” children’s store in Fayetteville. Ryan, Taylor, Emma, and I all went in there for the first time on Saturday. If you don’t know me I am really into living a Green life style for the betterment of our environment and our health. I’m not all the way to extreme Green yet, but we try very hard to make an impact where we can. So I love these kinds of stores because you always learn new things when you expose yourself to them.

While we were in the store I asked the owner if I could change Emma’s diaper. She said that she would gladly let us use her changing table but that I would have to take her diaper with me because that was the one thing they did allow in their trash can. I told her that I completely respected this because I know that diapers are the world’s worst thing that we can throw in the trash (if you don’t know they take at least 500+ years to decompose and our sociality simply uses so may of them – each child will use 3000 of them in their life time). So while I was in there I started to inquire about her cloth diapers and her cleaning systems. I have not been able to stop thinking about what she said to me and some of the comments she made. I am seriously thinking about going back and taking one of her training seminars on Cloth Diapers.

With that being said does anyone have any experience/feedback with Cloth Diapers? I am especially interested to know the best way to sanitize them. We do not have a laundry service for them in Northwest Arkansas, so I would have to do it all at home. I know that they are gross and a lot of work, but I also know in my heart that they are much better for the earth that my children will raise their children on.

Side Note
On a side note Emma has been at home sick with the stomach bug all week. Poor baby she was not able to keep anything down for 2 whole days. She is almost all the way better now, but when I brought her to the doctor her weight was all the way up to 13 pounds and 5 ounces.

Also Emily is safe and sound and made it back in town on Monday, and we could not be happier. Especially Taylor!!! Emily – Taylor is ready for you to come back over and have a sleep over with him and play games all night long. We all missed you so much, but no one as much as Taylor.

5 comments:

Char said...

Oh my gosh! That is the funniest story about Santa. Kids - you might think you know what they are thinking and what they are going to do or say - BUT THE TRUTH is - you really NEVER can be sure. ;-)
I would just let it be and not bring it up again until Taylor does.
As for cloth diapers - I have a LOT of experience with them. Ryan and Sean were both in cloth diapers at the same time. Definitely do NOT get a diaper pail. They are so smelly. Just imagine - a days worth of urine (or worse) in a closed up container. ICK! When the lid comes off - the smell will knock you back - the strong fragrance of AMONIA! I always kept the washer half filled with water and detergent - dropped each diaper in it as I took it off and then ran the washer 2 to 3 times each day.
I know you want to be GREEN - I admire you for that - however - if I were you - I would go ahead and use disposable diapers - maybe you could burn them or something. That would be better for the earth - right?
Hugs -
Nene

Char said...

I better explain why I think the Taylor/Santa story is so funny! You and Ryan don't know it yet - but I can promise you that until your children are grown - you will spend countless minutes, hours, days, weeks, months - EVEN YEARS - trying to stay one step ahead of your kids. This is just a perfect example of how it can't always be done! There will be "gotcha" and "just kidding" moments many times over the years to come. This one just made me laugh because it is so darn cute and innocent - but a GREAT "gotcha" moment."

Tootsie said...

Having had 3 babies under the age of 3 back in the good ol' days, I also have LOTS of experience with cloth diapers. My sniffer doesn't work so well, so I did use the diaper pail. The biggest tip I would give is diaper liners. Back in the day they were blue. I put them in every diaper as that helped keep the wetness away from baby's bottom. When it was soiled from #2, I just threw it away, and the diaper didn't get as dirty. If it was just wet, it went in the diaper pail too and got washed with the diapers. They could be washed several times before they gave up the ghost. The wet diapers I put in a dry pail. The soiled diapers I put in a mixture of bleach and detergent like Ivory Snow or Dreft.
I had 9 dozen diapers and had to wash every 3 days. I would be on the last diaper as they were coming out of the dryer! I used bleach and baby detergent.
I would double diaper at naptime and triple diaper at bedtime! It was funny seeing them walk with that all bunched up between their legs!
Aahhhhh.....the memories! :-D

The Bost Family said...

I think it is very noble of you sister. You have always been concerned with saving the earth and recycling. The idea of cloth diapers is really gross to me, I would say potty train Emma at 18 months. It's possible. You would still be saving the earth by using less diapers.

said...

Laura, eons ago when my first child was born I wanted to do everything "naturally". I had natural childbirth, I breastfed him and I bought cloth diapers. Within 2 weeks, I was buying disposables. For one, a newborn breastfed baby poops constantly and it always dribbled out the legs of those cloth diapers. Secondly, he got the worst diaper rash and I couldn't clear it up even with prescription medication. The Dr. told me to try disposable diapers. The rash cleared right up and I never looked back. Now...of course...that was 30 years ago. And I totally admire your sweet conscience in trying to be environmentally savvy. But, for a working mom, I think you might want to try to save the earth some other way.
Delta is reading a book about ways to be GREEN. She drives all the way from Poteau to Rogers to do her recycling.