Tuesday, November 26, 2013

American Airlines Complaint - one mother flying with four kids

Because American Airlines Online compliant process will only allow me 1500 characters (that is less than a paragraph) I am notifying them that they can find my full complaint on my blog.  Feel free to read – but know that this is why I have posted this here.    

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing concerning my recent travel experience with your airline on Saturday morning, November 23, 2013.  My four children and I flew on flight 1315 from Atlanta to Dallas.  I have 2 year old twins plus a 5 and 9 year old.  Each had a ticketed seat and we had been able to book our seats together  on the same row by taking advantage of the Main Cabin Extra and our early booking on July 31.

Our disappointment with your airline began at the check-in counter in Atlanta when we were told that we could not have a “Gate Pass” for my husband, to help us to the gate, after I had already called to confirm that this would be permitted prior to our flight.  Then we were told that we would not be able to bring our double stroller through the airport, and that it would have to be checked at the counter.  This double stroller was my only way to transport my two year old twins through the airport, and I was being told that my husband would not be allowed to get a gate pass and help us through the airport.  Nor did the American Airline representative offer up any suggestions for helping us solve for assistance through the airport.  Finally, another representative stepped in and arranged for the gate pass.  

Furthermore, when we arrived at our gate I informed your representative behind the gate counter that I was traveling by myself and had four small children.  I asked her “if there would be an opportunity for me to pre-board with my children?”  Her abrupt and seemingly rude response was “You will be able to board after I call First Class.”  Well when the time came she called first class and then continued to call additional classes, but never notified me when it would be acceptable to load the plane with my children.  Instead, my four small children and I loaded the plane with our assigned Group 3. 

Additionally, while we were in route, I asked the stewardess if there was any way to arrange for assistance once we landed since we had been required to baggage check our stroller at check-in.  She said she would arrange it, but when we landed and were the last to unload the plane there was not any assistance to be found.

The only help that my children and I received during our travel adventure was from a Delta flight attendant who was riding on our flight and felt pity on us and helped us off of the plane. 

To say the least, I was very disappointed with every one-on-one conversation had with an American Airline employee.  My hopes were for my four children and I to enjoy our Thanksgiving vacation with our family; however, I have felt compelled to spend my three days of vacation writing you this letter, and I am already dreading the flight home on your airline.  What advice do you have to help me on my return flight home?

Laura Coble

2 comments:

Jessica Anne said...

Wow, I've never had any trouble bringing a stroller through an airport, that is the craziest thing I've ever heard. I hope they have a good response and that no one with kids travels on their airline. I know I won't!

Happy Holidays

Jen Hottinger said...

How disappointing- I hope they responded!!